Trump and Netanyahu Diverge on Iran War’s Future in Tense Phone Call
Trump and Netanyahu diverge on Iran – During a Tuesday conversation, Donald Trump and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu engaged in a heated discussion that highlighted their conflicting perspectives on the next steps in the conflict with Iran, according to a U.S. official. This marked their second exchange in recent days, following a prior call on Sunday. In that earlier conversation, Trump indicated he might proceed with new targeted strikes against Iran in the coming days, the official stated. Such an operation, previously reported by CNN, was set to receive a new designation: Operation Sledgehammer.
However, just over 24 hours later, Trump announced that he had paused the planned attacks, citing the input of allies in the Persian Gulf. Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates had urged him to delay the strikes, the official added. In the subsequent days, these Gulf nations worked closely with White House representatives and Pakistani mediators to develop a potential framework for renewed diplomatic efforts. The U.S. official and another person with knowledge of the situation emphasized the ongoing collaboration among these parties to address the situation.
Trump’s remarks on Wednesday morning reflected his cautious approach to the talks. “We’re in the final stages of Iran. We’ll see what happens,” he told reporters, hinting at the possibility of a deal or more aggressive measures. “We’ll either have a deal or we’re going to do some things that are a little bit nasty,” he continued. “But hopefully that won’t happen.” The Israeli prime minister, however, has been less optimistic about the prospects of a diplomatic resolution. His long-standing advocacy for a more aggressive stance against Iran has placed him at odds with Trump’s strategy.
“We’re in the final stages of Iran. We’ll see what happens,” Trump told reporters. “We’ll either have a deal or we’re going to do some things that are a little bit nasty. But hopefully that won’t happen.”
Netanyahu’s frustration with the U.S. decision to delay military action became evident during the Tuesday conversation. According to the U.S. official, the prime minister expressed that the pause was a misstep and urged Trump to stick with his original plan. This sentiment was echoed by an Israeli source, who noted that Netanyahu remains skeptical of the likelihood of reaching an agreement, particularly given Iran’s refusal to relinquish its enriched uranium stockpile—a key issue in the negotiations.
The divergence in their strategies is clear. While Trump is open to exploring diplomatic avenues, Netanyahu has consistently pushed for immediate military action. An Israeli official confirmed that the prime minister’s frustration stems from the perception that the U.S. is allowing Iran to continue its diplomatic maneuvering. The situation has also raised concerns among Israeli officials, who fear that the delay could embolden Tehran and weaken their strategic position.
Trump’s recent comments on Thursday revealed his confidence in securing Iran’s enriched uranium. When asked whether Iran could retain its highly enriched material, he responded with certainty: “No, no, we get the highly enriched. We will get it.” He further stated, “We don’t need it; we don’t want it. We’ll probably destroy it after we get it, but we’re not going to let them have it.” These remarks underscore Trump’s determination to extract Iran’s nuclear capabilities, even if it means escalating military pressure.
Meanwhile, Iranian Supreme Leader Mojtaba Khamenei has issued a directive instructing the country to retain its near-weapons-grade uranium stockpile, according to Reuters, which cited two unnamed senior Iranian sources. The directive, however, has not yet been communicated to the White House, as noted by a U.S. official on Thursday. This lack of transparency has added to the tension, as the U.S. continues to press for Iran’s cooperation.
Iran’s Foreign Ministry spokesperson, Esmaeil Baghaei, stated on Wednesday that Tehran and Washington have maintained communication through Pakistan. “Based on Iran’s initial 14-point text, messages have been exchanged on several occasions, and we have received the American side’s viewpoints and are currently reviewing them,” he said, as reported by the state-affiliated Nour News outlet. This exchange suggests that Iran is still considering diplomatic options, even as it resists certain concessions.
Strategic Tensions and Middle Eastern Mediation
Netanyahu’s dissatisfaction with the U.S. approach extends beyond the recent call. Sources familiar with their interactions noted that the prime minister has long criticized Trump’s willingness to negotiate while maintaining a readiness for military action. This has created a dynamic where Trump’s threats are seen as a delaying tactic rather than a commitment to confrontation.
Despite Netanyahu’s pressure, Trump has continued to prioritize diplomacy, asserting that the situation with Iran is “right on the borderline” and that additional time is worth the potential to save lives. This perspective aligns with his broader strategy of balancing military threats with diplomatic overtures. However, Israeli officials remain divided on the effectiveness of this approach, with some advocating for a swift return to active combat.
The Israeli government’s upper echelons have shown a strong preference for renewed military action, as highlighted by an anonymous Israeli source. This source indicated that mounting frustration with Trump’s hesitancy to act has led to internal calls for a more aggressive posture. Yet, the prime minister’s impatience with the U.S. strategy is not a new development. Past discussions have already acknowledged the differing objectives between the two nations in the Iran conflict.
Asim Munir, Pakistan’s army chief, is set to travel to Tehran on Thursday, continuing his role as a mediator in the talks. This move underscores the growing involvement of regional actors in the diplomatic process. The question remains whether this engagement will bridge the gap between the U.S. and Israel or further complicate the negotiations.
Implications for the Iran Conflict
The tension between Trump and Netanyahu reflects a broader struggle over how to handle Iran’s nuclear program. Trump’s emphasis on diplomatic negotiations has clashed with Netanyahu’s belief that a military strike is necessary to prevent Tehran from advancing its capabilities. This conflict has created a delicate balance between the two allies, with each leader pushing for their preferred path.
While the U.S. and Israel share a common goal of curbing Iranian influence, their methods differ significantly. Trump’s decision to pause the attacks has been met with mixed reactions in Israel, where some officials argue that the delay gives Iran time to consolidate its position. Meanwhile, the U.S. continues to explore the possibility of a deal, even as it prepares for the potential of more forceful measures.
As the negotiations progress, the role of Pakistan as a mediator becomes increasingly critical. The country’s involvement highlights the interconnectedness of regional and global interests in the conflict. However, the success of these talks hinges on Iran’s willingness to compromise, particularly on the issue of enriched uranium. If the Iranian leadership refuses to budge, the U.S. and Israel may find themselves at a crossroads, forced to choose between a negotiated peace or a resumption of military action.
The upcoming meeting between Asim Munir and Iranian officials could provide clarity on whether the talks are on the verge of a breakthrough or facing further obstacles. With the U.S. and Israel’s strategies at odds, the international community watches closely to see how the conflict will unfold in the coming days. The outcome of these discussions may shape the future of the Iran war for years to come.