Suspected gunman dies after exchange of fire with Secret Service agents at White House checkpoint
Suspect Killed in White House Shooting as Secret Service Officers Respond
Suspected gunman dies after exchange of fire - On Saturday, May 23, 2026, a man was fatally shot after opening fire at a White House security checkpoint, according to federal officials. The incident occurred near the 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue NW gate, where the suspect, unidentified at the time, discharged a pistol before being subdued by agents. The White House was briefly placed on high alert, with Donald Trump in attendance, as a rapid exchange of gunfire echoed through the area, prompting nearby journalists to seek shelter.
Incident Details
The Secret Service confirmed that the suspect approached the checkpoint and fired at officers, triggering an immediate lockdown. The agency’s statement noted that the suspect was struck during the confrontation and taken to a hospital, where he later died. While no Secret Service personnel were harmed, a bystander was also injured during the altercation. Officials emphasized that it is still unclear whether the bystander was hit by the suspect’s initial shots or during the subsequent exchange of fire.
At the scene, Selina Wang, an ABC News correspondent, captured the chaos on video. In the footage, she described the sound of what appeared to be a rapid sequence of gunshots interrupting her report on U.S.-Iran negotiations. “We were told to sprint to the press briefing room, where we are holding now,” Wang said, as she crouched for cover. The incident left the White House’s security protocols under scrutiny, with reports suggesting at least 20 to 30 shots were fired during the brief confrontation.
Trump's Reaction and Political Context
Hours after the shooting, Donald Trump took to social media to commend the “swift and professional action” of law enforcement. His post referenced a similar incident from a month prior, when a shooter targeted the White House Correspondents’ Association dinner held at a Washington hotel. “This event underscores the necessity for future presidents to secure the safest and most fortified environment possible in the nation’s capital,” Trump stated, hinting at his ongoing plans for a presidential ballroom.
Earlier that day, Trump had been in the Oval Office but did not immediately address the gunfire. A DC News Now anchor, Chris Flanagan, recounted that he and other journalists had taken refuge in the White House briefing room during the lockdown. The security lockdown was eventually lifted, though the exact duration of the alert remains unspecified. The CBS News producer on the scene estimated that approximately 20 shots were fired, aligning with the Secret Service’s account of the events.
Suspect's Background
The suspect, whose identity has not yet been officially disclosed, reportedly had a history of mental health challenges and had previously been arrested for attempting to enter the White House through a different checkpoint without authorization. According to multiple U.S. media outlets, he had been issued a “Stay Away Order” by authorities, which likely prompted his return to the area on Saturday. The Secret Service did not confirm the order, but it is believed to have been part of ongoing monitoring of his movements.
Law enforcement sources indicated that the suspect’s actions were sudden and deliberate, with no prior warning given to officers. The agency emphasized that the individual had been actively observed in the vicinity of the White House gates, suggesting a possible surveillance component. Despite his prior history, the circumstances of his return to the checkpoint remain unclear, with no official statement yet explaining his motives or the specific trigger for the attack.
Previous Incidents at the White House
The shooting at the White House checkpoint follows a series of recent security threats. Just three weeks prior, a man armed with a gun had fired at a Secret Service officer near the route of JD Vance’s motorcade. The Department of Justice reported that a civilian witness, standing behind the officer, was wounded in the leg. Officers returned fire, hitting the suspect in the hand, left arm, and upper abdomen before apprehending him.
Adding to the tension, the White House had also been the site of an attempted assassination on April 25, when the president was attending the annual White House Correspondents’ Association dinner at a Washington hotel. The attack, which involved a gun fired at close range, was thwarted by security personnel. This incident, combined with the recent checkpoint shooting, highlights the heightened vigilance required to protect the executive branch, especially during high-profile events.
Response from Law Enforcement
The FBI director, Kash Patel, swiftly responded to the incident, stating that the agency was on the scene and assisting the Secret Service in investigating the shots fired near the White House grounds. “We will update the public as we’re able,” Patel said, underscoring the collaborative nature of the response. The Secret Service also issued a statement at around 6:45pm local time, confirming awareness of the reports and working to verify the details with personnel on the ground.
Following the event, the White House security team conducted a thorough review of the incident, including the suspect’s behavior and the effectiveness of the checkpoint’s defenses. While the exact sequence of events is still being pieced together, the agency emphasized its commitment to maintaining the highest level of safety for the president and vice-president. The shooting has sparked discussions about the evolving nature of threats to national leaders and the need for continuous improvements in security measures.
As the investigation unfolds, officials are focusing on understanding the suspect’s intent and any potential links to broader security concerns. The White House has become a symbol of both political power and vulnerability, with each incident reinforcing the importance of robust protective strategies. The public remains eager for updates, as the details of this latest confrontation continue to shape the narrative around safety in Washington, D.C.
"It remains unclear whether the bystander was struck by the suspect’s initial gunfire or during the subsequent exchange of gunfire." – US Secret Service
The combined efforts of the Secret Service and the FBI highlight the critical role of law enforcement in safeguarding the presidency. With Trump’s continued emphasis on the need for “the most safe and secure space of its kind ever built,” the incident serves as a stark reminder of the challenges faced by security teams in preventing potential threats. As the nation watches, the events of Saturday will likely influence future discussions on presidential protection and the balance between security and accessibility at the White House.